Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In The Beginning

I'd like to go back and start posting about how it was for us in the beginning.  These are stories that I would love to have for the kids to read once they are older.  I think you'll also enjoy them.  

Let's start at the very beginning.  The wife and I were in the middle of remodeling our bedroom - new laminate flooring and everything - and getting ready to go to a photography conference/vacation in Las Vegas when she got the first positive on the pregnancy test.   She immediately stopped all painting (which meant that I had to do it myself - not that I mind).  She made appointments with her doctor to confirm, did the blood tests and whatnot.  When she explained the values to me from the two blood tests something didn't sound right to me.  The number was supposed to double in a certain amount of time and when I did the quick math in my head it was a little more than it should have been.  But I kept these thoughts to myself.  

Then we left for Vegas.  I had seminars to attend, and she had naps to take.  Lots of them.  She was sooo tired.  She did go out on her own during the day to explore a little, but not much.  I remember a couple of nights waking her up to go out.  And we had to avoid the smell of coffee like the plague.  That was a tough one being that there was a Starbucks in the lobby of our hotel!  But we managed, and had a good time.  Gambled a bit, shopped a bit, went to see the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.  It was a good trip.

After we got back I had a day or two before I had to get back to work and was working on re-acclimating myself after the time change.  It was my turn to take naps!  During one of the naps I had a strange dream that we needed a bigger house because we had three kids.  I didn't see the kids, there was no reference to how old the kids were, just that we were looking for a bigger house because we had three kids.  I shook it off as nothing and went on with my life.  

Then we had the appointment for our first ultrasound.  When we got into the room the tech asked me if I wanted to sit down and offered me a stool.  I opted to stand next to my wife.  She started the ultrasound and asked G if she was experiencing any morning sickness or any other symptoms.  G explained that she was a little nauseous at times and was very tired.  The tech then said "well that explains the nausea" as she was looking at the screen.  I vaguely remember her counting, and when she got to three I think I said, "three what?" and then turned around to look for that stool.  The shock had set in.  

The details are a bit fuzzy now, but she finished the ultrasound, asked if we needed anything and then took us out to wait for the doctor.  That day the doc was pretty backed up, so they didn't have a room for us to wait in.  We waited on a bench in the hallway.  People kept walking by asking us if we were okay.  We must have had some pretty stunned looks on our faces.  I remember giggling in an awkward kind of way thinking, how are we ever going to do this.  We can't care for three babies.  Triplets!  It seemed like we were sitting there forever, but in a way it was a good thing.  By the time the doc was ready for us reality had started to set in.  Or at least acceptance.  We were going to have triplets!

3 comments:

  1. I love it. Thanks for sharing Kevin. =) So weird that you had a dream. It's like you knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, Kevin. I also dreamed that we were going to have triplets. And similar reaction to the ultrasound. Dumbfoundedness.

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. My wife and I also went to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Death Valley while she was pregnant with our first. Now we have 5, with one set of twins.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete