Monday, June 29, 2009

Quick Update

I know I haven't posted in a while and I'm sorry. Last week I caught whatever virus K had and was pretty well incapacitated. On Monday I woke up with a fever of almost one hundred and two degrees. Gretch stayed home Monday and Tuesday to watch the kids while I was pretty much quarantined to the bedroom. That was okay, because I really didn't have the energy to get out of bed anyways.

Tuesday night my parents made the trip up to get the kids and take them back to their house so that I could recouperate and Gretch could get back to work. Things were going pretty well and I was feeling a lot better on Wednesday. Then Thursday morning I awoke around 7:00 with the worst heartburn I'd ever felt. I tried tums, mylanta, even pepcid, but nothing helped. I decided at some point to take an advil and a couple hours later I got better. Gretch and I had dinner, and even got out to see the new Transformers movie.

Around 1:30 I awoke again with the pain, this time it was worse. and it didn't really feel like heartburn anymore. I was having a hard time breathing, and my neck and shoulders hurt. I woke gretch up around 2:00 and told her we needed to go to the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack. After several long hours, many tests, and a nitro tablet, they told me I was being admitted to the Coronary Care Unit because one of the tests they did indicated that there was damage to the heart muscle. I did in fact have a heart attack.

They moved me to a room and scheduled me for a heart cath later that day. Long story short, the cath showed no blockage. My arteries were clear, my cholesterol was fine. There was no reason I should have had a heart attack. The only thing the doctor could come up with was that the virus had infected the pericardium and caused it to become inflamed, constricting the heart and causing the attack. It's rare, but it happens.

So, to wrap it up, I'm doing fine and recovering well. The kids are still at Grandma's and will be staying there through the holdiay weekend, so don't expect any triplet related posts until next week. I'm ready for June to be over. I've been through two of the toughest things I've ever had to face this month, K's seizure and my heart attack. I'm looking forward to a much healthier July!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds crazy scary! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Enjoy the rest of your time kid free - it's nice to have a break.
    July will be a much better month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a rough June! I hope you are recovering well. I am popping by after reading your interview on the multiples blog! Hi to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your interview on 'Multiples' and thought I'd check out your blog. So sorry to hear of your 'June' drama. My best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about what happened, but glad to see you are on the mend. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete