Thursday, July 1, 2010

Myrtle Beach 2010: Something In The Water


On the last day of our stay in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, after Gretchen and I put the kids down for a nap we were just about to sit down to eat lunch when I looked out towards the beach. I noticed that there was a double red flag on the lifeguard chair and that everyone was standing on the beach. There was no one in the water. After I ate my lunch I grabbed my camera and headed down to the beach to see what was going on. Turns out there was an alligator in the water, probably about a hundred feet out. There were two guys in the water trying to either catch it or lure it away, I couldn't tell for sure. One had a fishing pole, but it didn't seem to do any good, so he quit and got out of the water. The other guy had no tools except for his hands and what little brains he had. At one point he actually swam up to the thing and lunged at it like he was trying to catch it. The thing had to be six feet long at least. Not a big gator by any means, but not something I'd just try to catch with my hands either. I made sure to take a few pics to prove the story.