Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Sunflower and the Hummingbird

Earlier this year we planted some sunflowers outside of our kitchen window. It took them a while to bloom, but they finally did over the past couple of days. I've been watching them and taking pictures here and there over the last couple of days.

Today I noticed some bees doing their thing around the flowers, so I grabbed my camera and caught a couple of shots. This is one of the better ones.


After a couple of shots the bees left. I guess I was a bother to them. A few minutes later I went back to the flowers to see if any of them had returned, and I was very surprised to see a hummingbird darting from flower to flower. I've never even seen a hummingbird before. I mean, maybe in a zoo or something, but never anywhere near our house.

Thanks to the bees, I just happened to have my camera at the ready, with the right lens and settings all ready to go.


Now if you'll excuse me, I think I should go play the lottery.