Monday, February 23, 2009

"only women can be nurturers"

Missouri State Rep. Cynthia Davis (R-O'Fallon) is currently trying to pass legislation that would pay at-home-moms $600 each year that they care for children under the age of 16. That's right, I said moms, not dads. You see, Davis told KMOU reporter Sarah Hollenbeck that "only women can be nurturers" and intentionally left dads out of the bill.

Click here to see the full story.

Click here to email Rep. Davis or call her: 573-751-9768 or 636-240-6369

Click here to email Sarah Hollenbeck

I gave up a well paying job to stay home to care for my children. For someone to say that I cannot be a nurturer because I'm a man is preposterous. It's like me saying that someone cannot be a State Representative because they are a woman. It's just not right.

Thanks to at home dad for bringing this to my attention.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like she is putting the bill forward to get rid of some "working Mommy guilt" she has:) Don't worry, us guys get paid more "at" work so let them have their $600 per year. Then the state will have to pay millions to fend off the lawsuits of us stay-at-home Dads. BTW, many stay at home Moms I see could use some lessons in nurturing themselves:)

    Keep fighting the good fight,

    Al

    ReplyDelete