Monday, June 21, 2010

Triplets on Vacation: Part Three

Wow, the rest of the week is sort of a blur! There was lots of Pool time and beach time with the kids. Gretch and I got to get out by ourselves again and have dinner and play some mini-golf. On Friday we took the kids out to the beach after dark for a walk. They had a blast! KJ took off by himself and I had to chase him down. We were lucky that he didn't fall into one of the holes that people had dug in the sand throughout the day. Some of them can be a couple of feet deep.

Saturday we packed up and headed home. We got on the road by 8:00 am and were home before midnight. It was quite an adventure. We probably could have made it home before ten if we hadn't had to stop so many times to change diapers and eat. But, this way we got to see a lot of rest stops along the way, and getting home before midnight is much better than getting home after two in the morning like last year.

I learned quite a few things on this vacation. Here are a few (in no particular order):
  • Too much caffeine will, in fact, make you feel like you're vibrating. 
  • Three 5-hour energy drinks, a medium iced coffee, a medium coke, a large coke, and a 24oz. Mountain Dew over a 15 hour span provide way more caffeine than my body can handle. 
  • It's always good to have a backup plan to secure your luggage to the roof rack of your minivan. 
  • It's always good to have a backup plan for your backup plan to secure your luggage to the roof rack of your minivan.
  • Most businesses don't think that dads change diapers.
  • The state of North Carolina thinks that dads change diapers.
  • North Carolina has the cleanest rest stops I've ever seen. Ever.
  • No matter how many toys you bring for your children to play with in the pool, they will want the toys all of the other children brought to the pool.
  • Even though your children will not play with the toys you bought for them to play with in the pool, bring them anyways, because the other children will need toys when your children steal theirs.
  • My son is more stubborn than I ever was.
  • We should never promise KJ pizza unless we are one thousand percent positive we can provide him with pizza.
  • A bottle and a half of SPF 50 sunscreen can't keep me from burning.
  • Being nice and polite will get you further in life than being bitchy and mean.
  • Alligators can get confused and wander out into the ocean.
  • A double red flag on the lifeguard chair means get the heck out of the water.
  • Peacocks wander around rural North Carolina
  • Eggs fall out of the sky and land on my driveway just before midnight on nights when I return from vacation.
  • Teenagers in my neighborhood need more summer enrichment programs.
Stay tuned for more detailed accounts of these things and more in the coming weeks. For now, the caffeine has finally worn off and I need to get some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. It is refreshing to hear about another Stay At Home Dad's experiences.
    Being a SAHD is not easy and has its drawbacks and positives.
    I like your writing style!
    Keep up the great work!

    i have experienced many ups and downs during my last 4 years as a SAHD. I have documented many at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would probably be a salt water croc. I grew up in NC and miss it. Glad you all had a great time at the beach. Everything rings so true for our beach vacations also. I have also made the mistake of promising a food that I cannot deliver on. Luckily for me ice cream is always a closer I can pull out of the bull pen when I need it to end the game:)

    Hav fun,

    Al

    ReplyDelete